Spring Allergy Prevention
I used to suffer from year-round allergies that were at their worst in the springtime. I was on a corticosteroid inhaler and took antihistamines for six months out of the year. I had frequent colds, sinus infections and headaches. I decided to get off the medications and fight the allergies the natural way. This is the protocol that I have followed for the last six years. I can’t promise that it will work for everyone, but I can say that I am now medication and allergy free.
- Cut back or eliminate dairy products - especially milk and cheese.This is a biggie for me. I love cheese, but unfortunately it leads to a lot of congestion and extra mucus production for me. I have found that while I can tolerate dairy at certain times of the year, spring is the time when I need to eliminate it.
- Spring cleanse. This is the best time of year to cleanse and detox the body from winter’s excesses. Cleansing the body now will help your body deal with allergies.
- Neti pot. The neti pot is a great tool for irrigating your sinuses. It is excellent for preventing and providing relief from allergies, sinus infections, and colds. 1/2 tsp. of sea salt is mixed with warm water. The spout of the neti pot is placed in one nostril. Tilt your head to the side and the salt water goes through your sinuses and drains out the other nostril. It is safe, simple and effective. Use it first thing in the morning as part of your bathroom routine, or more often as needed
- Green Magma Barley Grass supplement. Mix 2 tsp. barley grass with 8oz. of water and drink it first thing in the morning. Besides providing allergy relief, it is full of nutrients that will give you an energy boost.
- Local bee pollen* or local honey. Bee Pollen* reduces sensitivity to pollen allergies. 1 tsp. in the morning is sufficient after checking for allergic reaction (see below). It is best to start taking bee pollen one month before allergy season begins and continue taking it throughout allergy season.
- Zicam Allergy Relief is a homeopathic remedy that is put in your nose several times a day. If you start feeling your allergies, use this instead of antihistamines.
Where can I buy this stuff?
Neti pot, barley grass and bee pollen can found at health food stores such as Whole Foods. Zicam Allergy Relief can be found at the drug store.
*Bee pollen warning - Before taking a full dose of bee pollen it is very important to test for a possible extreme allergic reaction by ingesting just one pellet. Then gradually build up over a week or so to the correct dose.
This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 11th, 2009 at 1:33 pm and is filed under Local Food, vegan, vegetarian, whole health. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.